Monday, January 13

DIY inspo [ikea hack]

Ikea how I love you. You give options to college students and recent grads, you overwhelm craigslist, you make cheap and cheaply made minimalist Sweedish furniture available to all! I love visiting you, strolling through your showroom (even more so since 500 Days of Summer) and buying way more tea lights and meatballs than a girl needs.

But for the big ticket items- the bed, the couch, the table, basically anything that's going to define my home- I don't want you. Even if you're a free coffee table inherited from god knows how many generations of renters in our capitol hill row house, eventually you've gotta go.

Or get hacked.

When D and I found ourselves in possession of said coffee table 3 years ago, we decided to make it work. It saved us cash at the time, and we certainly haven't prioritized upgrading communal items, as we've always lived with friends (which is WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS). But as the much anticipated solo-living horizon approaches, I'm getting excited to focus on previously neglected areas, like the living room where this table may live.

From what I can gather online, this baby was made in 1983 and discontinued in the early 2000's. There's even an Ikea MOMENT Table Flickr album (don't ask me why). Well, sorry to ruin a retro classic (??) but it needed a new look.

Come back tomorrow to see what we did.

No comments:

Post a Comment

how you like dem apples?