Monday, January 27

cheap eats [homemade vs store bought]

I've gotten pretty kitchen-domestic in the last few years, prompted by a few different things- certainly I enjoy the process of DIY, the accomplishment, the pride, but my more health-conscious side also likes knowing EXACTLY what I'm eating and my cheap side likes the opportunity to save a few pennies. I think the best way to decide what you should be making at home is to consider what you eat most often. It would make sense (financially and health-wise) to switch out a store-bought (and arguably less-healthy, more-expensive) staple.  For example, I'm eyeing these homemade Larabars. Plus, if it's a weekly or even daily consumption, you won't need to worry about your lack of preservatives!

I'm already down with making my own almond milk, and I've been doing nut butters every since my trusty Vitamix came into my life. Don't even get me started on the vast and varied list of sauces and dressings I'd like to tackle. There are a few things I'd like to add to my homemade repertoire in 2014, below- please let me know if you have any tips or tricks to share!

Homemade Sauerkraut (this is already fermenting, details coming soon)



All things pickled (I've tried a few but haven't had much luck)


Apple Butter (sans sugar)


Hummus! I want to try this (meat-less) "buffalo chicken" version, too.


Preserved Lemons (supposedly awesome with most veggies!)


No comments:

Post a Comment

how you like dem apples?