Thursday, May 16

mixology [hibiscus flower punch]

This is a funny story (to me). 

I traveled to El Salvador after my senior year of college as part of a solidarity and service trip with my undergrad's Center for Community Service and Justice. It was incredible, and worthy of another post (or week's worth). 

What I really want to share with you is that since that trip, I've had sealed bags of dried jamaica (hah-MY-kuh) stored with my tea. While in the country we tried an amazing chilled beverage made from the flower, so I bought a bunch, and have never gotten the energy or inspiration to make it again.

Then last week I get an email from PureWow, telling me that Hibiscus cocktails are great for Cinco de Mayo. Yeah, I bet they are, but I don't have any Hibiscus flowers.

Unless jamaica is the Latin American name for hibiscus.


Which it is.

Cocktail time!


Hibiscus Flower Punch
Recipe adapted from Chris Mortenson, La Condesa, Napa, Calif.
MAKES 10 COCKTAILSSTART TO FINISH: 35 MINUTES
INGREDIENTSDIRECTIONS
1½ ounces dried hibiscus flowers½ cup sugar, plus more to taste
3¾ cups tequila
1¾ cups rum
1¾ cups simple syrup
Juice from 5 limes (about ¾ cup)
Lime wheels, for garnish
1. In a large saucepan, bring 1½ cups of water to a boil. Place the hibiscus flowers in a large bowl and pour the boiling water over them. Soak the flowers for 20 minutes, then pour the liquid through a strainer into a large pitcher. Add the sugar and stir until it’s dissolved. Add 3 cups cold water to the pitcher and adjust the sugar to taste.2. Add the tequila, rum, simple syrup and lime juice to the pitcher and stir to combine. Fill ten medium glasses halfway full with ice, then divide the punch among the glasses. Serve immediately, garnished with lime wheels.

No comments:

Post a Comment

how you like dem apples?