Thursday, February 18

bibliophile [catch up 2]

Continuing on with our bibliophile round up of what I read in the past year.


We started a family book club, and this was the first read: The Girl on the Train, by Paula Hawkins. Hailed as the new "Gone Girl", it most certainly fell short. But, as a thriller with a deeply untrustworthy narrator, it was good and quick- just disappointing in comparison. A fun beach read. (FYI, our second book club pick was The Martian, which I loved).


We Were Liars, by E. Lockhart. Heard this touted as a YA novel. I thought it was paced very well, a quality book with interesting characters and family drama. Definitely some twisty suspense and turns I did not see coming. One benefit of doing these reviews so much later is that my opinions are really distilled- this one definitely stayed with me. I'd recommend it for sure.


The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, by Mark Haddon. Hated. I think they're making it into a Broadway play, if they haven't already. If you want a good book written from the perspective of an autistic narrator, The Rosie Project (by Graeme Simsion) was excellent. Read that earlier this year as well.

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to read some of these on the airplane! Thanks for the recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! I had to read Dog at Midnight back when I was at NDA and didn't enjoy it at all. I feel like I remember Yenniber saying she liked it though.

    ReplyDelete

how you like dem apples?