Wednesday, October 28

DC Digs [the hunt for a mirror]

We have been hunting for a mirror since July. Mostly on Craigslist, due to how expensive it would be to ship something so fragile off of Ebay, but I did take a look at a few retailers to see if anything would work.

First thing to decide was shape and size. We have 4ft by 4ft of space above our mantle, and I really wanted a mirror that would fill the space. Initially I wanted something huge, like dis:


via
But as we taped off the space we realized something this full would be very heavy visually. In such a small home, we needed to go a bit more delicate. We didn't want a round mirror, since we have a circular dining table right next to the fireplace (more on that later), and I was hoping to vary the shapes. Most of our furniture is clean-lined, tailored mid-century modern pieces, so I thought we could go a bit more ornate and feminine for this. We were willing to look at all finishes, with the understanding that I would gold leaf anything that wasn't already gilt.

Before I show you what we went for, let's see the eye candy I used as my inspiration.


via
via
via

No comments:

Post a Comment

how you like dem apples?